Amy

Amy

09-01-2020 om 20:59

Does my son have to go to Kabouterhuis?

Jan

Jan

12-01-2020 om 22:48

Aanpassen of oprotten

Wat een hautaine gedoe zeg. Als allles hier zo slecht is. Ga dan naar het groene gras bij de buren.

Goh Jan

Ga zelf naar de buren! Wat een kortzichtige reactie zeg.

Biebel

Biebel

13-01-2020 om 11:03

Happy or Right

Honoustly, I think the advice about getting a lawyer is three steps in the wrong direction. In dutch there is a saying "wilde gij geluk of gelijk", which would translate into "do you want happyness or just to be called right".

While youre intentions are not to offend, every time you mention the Dutch eating or school systems, you do sound superior. It does seem like you think the way dutch eat (cheese! Bread! milk!) is somehow responsible that they (the dutch teachers, other kids at school and the experts) don't understand your child.

This may or may not be the case. Fact is that there is also research that dutch stomages are build for cheese, bread and milk, and that west-European are with this diet better in fighting diseases as HIV and the plague. Fact is that Dutch skin colours are pale - so any walls can be seen quite quickly. Fact is that your child spits, crys, throws with toys and can't visit school for a longer period than 2 hours a day.

Brings me to a repetition of myself. We don't know if there is anything wrong with your son. Quite frankly: you don't know either. The only thing you know is that you haven't found a way to let him act in an acceptable way in a dutch school. Maybe its the school, the food, wifi radiation or the lepracons that are sitting in his bag, but he doesn't fit in the regular schoolsystem.

What my advice would be: work with people to find out what's causing his behaviour. Is it a hearing problem? Learning, language barrier or behaviour disability? Or just an overprotective parent that needs to step aside and let her child learn the Dutch language?

Lawyers are good for creating and cultivating arguments and discussions. I know AnneJ has some experience with them, and a lot of bad experiences with how child organisations can totally choose a wrong direction. But you are not her. Your child is not her child. You can choose at this moment to cooperate. Focus on what your kid needs to adjust to school. Ask their help how you can help your kid to grow into school. Ask what they think what would help - and don't try to include your vision on food or society in your response.

In Summary: work together, to create a happy child. Instead of fighting to get the parents there "you are right", whild their kid's still having troubles adjusting to school.

Enna M.

Enna M.

13-01-2020 om 11:46

Amy

I think you must feel very lonesome, In a foreign country, so different to your homeland!

My vision: Kabouterhuis is probably recommended for your son because they think there are some serious concerns about his behaviour. They don't do it just because they like to. I agree with Limi that what you describe, is very remarkable and I think you should be concerned. Spitting and throwing stuff is not normal for a child that only has issues with understanding the language.

Otherwise (if your son doesn't have any disorder) it's about adaptation, I'm afraid. If you are planning to stay in the Netherlands (or Europe) for a long time, try to get some Dutch friends, Japanese friends who are already living here for a while as well. I've got the impression you are quite isolated with your little family here, so no one could tell you your son is acting strange for a child of his age. Didn't you go to the infant welfare centre (consultatiebureau) for his vaccinations and stuff? They must have seen something there.....

Tamar

Tamar

13-01-2020 om 13:42

I think:

with the ideas on education that you have, a Waldorf/Steiner school may be a good idea.

As for your son's behaviour, you can have Kabouterhuis look at that, but also a child psychiatrist (through your GP). Maybe your son can cope better if he gets a diagnosis and takes medication such as Ritalin.

I agree with your way of raising him, but to outsiders this may look like spoiling him. And now you also refuse to send him to Kabouterhuis, which they may see as not cooperating and not acting in his interest. In fact, he is probably overstimulated and that is why he shows this behaviour - nothing to do with spoiling him.

Once he goes to Kabouterhuis it will be harder for him to go to a regular school. All schools in the area will know that he went there. But if you go to a psychiatrist and give him medication (if the psychiatrist says he needs it), the school does not need to know. He may need a special needs school in the future anyway, but you can't know that yet at this age.

I managed to keep my son in regular education and gave him medication through a psychiatrist. He is now doing very well. If I could do it again, I would not even tell the school that we were seeing a child psychiatrist, because schools do look differently at children when they know that. But you may have to, in order to explain why you are not sending him to Kabouterhuis.

I hope this helps; it is a slightly different perspective on it all.

Reageer op dit bericht

Op dit topic is al langer dan 4 weken niet gereageerd, daarom is het reageerveld verborgen. Je kan ook een nieuw topic starten.